Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Last Game at Beard-Eaves

I was there for the first one on January 11, 1969 as the Tigers waxed LSU and Pistol Pete 90 to 71 despite Maravich's 46 points. I was there tonight for the last one as the Tigers beat Mississippi State 89 to 80 in a track meet. The game surprised me because it was run and gun from the beginning. It was as if each team decided from the get-go that they were not going to play defense. Fortunately we shot the ball well.

It was a virtual sell-out. I could see only a few empty seats.

After the game the members of that 68-69 team were introduced. Wally Tinker, who made the first bucket in the coliseum, recreated his 7-foot jumper that started it all. It was electrifying. I only got to see Wally Tinker one year because he was a senior my freshman year, but I will always remember him because he was a hustler. He played all-out for 40 minutes.

I was glad to see that Joe Champi, the winningest coach ever at Beard-Eaves, was properly recognized. He put Auburn women's basketball on the map with 4 Final Four appearances.

I can't say I will greatly miss Beard-Eaves. I'm sure once I get inside the new arena that's what I'll be talking about from now on.

But it was fun tonight one last time.

1 comment:

  1. You were fortunate to be there. I will remember the Persons, Barkley, and Mengelt. I will remember Ruthie Bolton, DeWanna Bonner, Chris Porter, and Doc Robinson.

    ReplyDelete