Friday, May 8, 2015

Beating Alabama in Softball

I get excited beating those folks in ANYTHING!

Softball Tigers take Tide down hard

Marcy Harper dominated on the mound and Auburn got big hits and big times to beat Alabama 7-1 at Tiger Park at Baton Rouge on Friday and advance to the Southeastern Conference Tournament championship game for the first time in school history.
Marcy Harper did not issue a walk in earning her 11th win. (Photo: Auburn University)
The No. 5 Tigers, the No. 2 seed, came to make amends for losing two of three to Alabama at home in April. And they did. Alabama scored 31 runs in the regular-season series, but Harper made sure it would be different on Friday.
Auburn improved to 48-9 and will play the winner of Friday’s semifinal game between No. 1 seed Florida and No. 5 seed Tennessee for the championship on Saturday. Alabama finished the regular season 42-12.
Harper went the distance, giving up four hits, to improve to 11-4. And she did not issue a walk.
“It’s a great feeling,” Harper said. “I couldn’t do it without my teammates. I was just hitting my spots. I had my defense behind me. I had the most confidence in them.”
The Tigers took advantage of eight free baserunners on five walks and three batters.
Branndi Melero had two hits, including a two-run double. Emily Carosone had two hits and scored three runs. Kelsey Cooper had two hits. Haley Fagan had one and drove in two runs.
Alabama starter Leslie Jury gave up five runs on four hits in two innings and took the loss. Sydney Littlejohn gave up two runs on six hits.

1 comment: