Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sunday Reflections: New DC

The news of the day is that Malzahn dismissed Ellis Johnson as defensive coordinator.  Who is next?  It's too early to know, but I thought why not have fun and give my odds.  I'm not in the loop and anything I say shouldn't be believed, but that hasn't stopped me before.

First, let's remember that Johnson is 62.  Much was made during his stint at Auburn about his age, his having coached at four SEC programs, and his decades in the business.  So, I'm setting the over and under on the age of our next DC at 53.  I don't have a bet on which side we will land.  However, when Johnson was at South Carolina, he famously criticized our brand of offense.  Also, ESPN is reporting "mutual interest" between Malzahn and Muschamp.  Does that indicate a younger DC?

As for who will replace Johnson, here are my unbiased, yet uninformed and unreliable, odds:

Rodney Garner - 35:1
Will Muschamp - 6:1
Bo Pelini - 15:1
Ed Orgeron - 20:1
Somebody else - 10:1

The team finished 8-4.  This is a program that, especially after last year, wants to win championships.  Knowing that we need to improve after a four loss season, going with Garner might be a risk because he has never been a DC.

1 comment:

  1. Very reasonable odds. Phillip Marshall says today he expects Muschamp to be our next DC.

    ReplyDelete