Friday, January 1, 2010

It Came Down to One Play at the End

THORPE STOP SAVES THE DAY
By Phillip Marshall, Senior Writer
Posted Jan 1, 2010
Copyright © 2010 AuburnUndercover.com



Neiko Thorpe stops Northwestern's Zeke Markshausen to end game
TAMPA, Fla. – After more than four hours and almost 200 snaps, it came down to one play for Auburn and Northwestern.

In overtime, Northwestern faced fourth-and-goal at the 5, trailing 38-35. Wildcat coach Pat Fitzgerald, his kicker hurt, decided to go for broke. He called a fake that was one of the favorites of late coach Randy Walker, who died suddenly in the summer of 2006.

Auburn’s defenders, playing on rubbery legs, suspected something was coming. When there holder, they knew something was coming. Wide receiver Zeke Markshaun ended up with the ball, sprinting for the flag. But cornerback Neiko Thorpe, fighting off blockers, smashed into him at the 2, knocking him out of bounds.

Finally, the Tigers could celebrate a 38-35 victory. And celebrate they did.

“I saw everybody was (standing) up, and I knew something was up,” Thorpe said. “Then I saw the center just grab the ball and snap it through his legs. I went outside and tried to fight off the blocker and made a good play.

“It was just so quick. I was afraid I was the only one who saw it. When you see the replay, there were a lot of people in pursuit.”

One who wasn’t in pursuit, at least of the ballcarrier, was All-Southeastern Conference defensive end Antonio Coleman.

“I got baited on the backside and was chasing another guy,” Coleman, able to laugh about it when it was over. “I saw Neiko knock the guy out of bounds. That’s when I started celebrating. TI don’t know about anybody else, but they got me.”

Fitzgerald said he thought he had the right play called at the right time.

“That was one heck of a fight and one heck of a battle,” Ftizgerald said. “I said we were coming down here to win. It just seemed like the stars were aligned there at the end. That was one of Coach Walk’s favorite plays. We played for the win and unfortunately ended up a little bit short.”

On the Auburn sideline, Roof and other coaches knew something was up. They had given the players a defense to run in case there was a fake. All they could do was watch.

(Defensive end Antoine) Carter was coming off a block and it looked like he was going to make it,” Roof said. “Then all of a sudden I saw his jersey get stretched out and he went back to the guy that was trying to block him. Neiko fought through two blockers to make an absolutely fantastic play.”

Fitzgerald said he had no regets.

“People tell me I’m too conservative,” Fitzgerald said. “I said ‘What the heck. We’re here to win, so let’s go. I’d do it again. Next time, I’d score, though, and we’d be celebrating.”

1 comment:

  1. I am stunned Northwestern ran 115 plays in the game.

    ReplyDelete