Saturday, December 5, 2015

War Memorial Stadium

I went to the 5A state championship game at War Memorial Stadium last night.  Pulaski Academy, located in Little Rock, played McClellan.  I went because I know someone who is a PA fan and because the PA coach, Kevin Kelley, is known for his unorthodox style of football.  PA almost never punts.  In the first half, for example, they went for it on 4th and 16 from their own 9 yard line.  Also, they always onside kick.  I wanted to see this kind of football in action.

Kevin Kelley and PA have garnered national coverage for playing like this.  But it works.  PA won last night, making back-to-back state titles.  Since Kelley became coach in 2003, PA has won five state titles.

I say all this to make the point that War Memorial Stadium is a dump.  This was my first game there, and I am not impressed.  The stadium looks old and outdated.  The video boards look like what stadiums had in 1990, small and fuzzy.  It is a single bowl, and looks almost like a glorified high school stadium.  Makes it harder to believe that the Razorbacks play there.  I'd rather see a game at Legion Field!

3 comments:

  1. If it's worse than Legion Field then it really is a dump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Legion Field has (or used to) the Mercedes hood ornament atop the stadium. Actually, having something that resembles what Elizabeth Taylor would have worn is an embarrassment. Ha!

    ReplyDelete