Thursday, October 9, 2014

Mississippi State

The epicenter of the college football world is in StarkVegas this Saturday.  StarkVegas?  Yes, believe it or not!  What should we be thinking about this game?  Here are my thoughts...

Mississippi State has a mediocre pass defense.  I am glad that we had passing success against LSU.  I expect that we will need to move through the air to score points this weekend.  However, can we stop MSU from scoring?  They put 48 points last Saturday on TAMU, albeit an average TAMU defense at best.  The game could be a high scoring affair if our offense can start fast.

Gus said this week he hopes for a fast start against MSU.  That is always what you want, but it may be particularly needed for this Auburn offense to be successful.  We started slowly against KState and scored only 20.  Auburn relies on tempo and rhythm, and starting fast is important to establishing that.

This is a big game for MSU.  If they win, then they could be setup for the biggest season in Bulldog history.  If they lose, then all of the excitement thus far will be for nothing.  The pressure is on MSU more so than Auburn, to me.  I said last week that I hope MSU beats TAMU because the Bulldogs are not used to the hype and spotlight of a #3 ranking.  I hope that the added pressure of their highest ranking ever and Gameday on campus becomes too much.

Although the game is big for MSU, is the game big for Auburn?  We are used to big games.  We have been there.  All games, especially SEC games, are big, but I think this game is big for MSU in a way that it is not for Auburn.  How can MSU really be taken seriously by Auburn fans?  It is still MSU.  For MSU, Auburn is a behemoth, in the same way that we see Georgia or Alabama.  For Auburn, however, MSU is more on par with Kentucky than a Georgia or Alabama.

What scares me most is MSU scoring points and the dual threat of Dak Prescott.  Can we stop them?

To this point, Malzahn seems capable of designing an offense that can beat anybody.  We have not seen him truly bumfuzzled yet.  That gives us confidence.  However, I said before KState that nobody can stop us, and we scored only 20.  Hopefully, these words will not bite me.

Rumor is, Auburn fans will be bringing their own cowbells to StarkVegas.  Is this a smart idea?  I don't know.

Is it amazing that in 2008, these teams played a 3-2 game, and now the teams are ranked #3 and #2?

More thoughts to come...

2 comments:

  1. OH, how I remember us being there and watching that 3 to 2 game. That was WORSE Auburn game I have ever witnessed. It was PAINFUL! Yes, things have changed since then.
    I wish our people would not bring cowbells. This will only incite their fans to ring them even more, and why imitate their tacky tradition?
    A fast start is key. Throwing the ball effectively is key. We will not shut down their offense. We will have to outscore them with our defense getting a couple of key stops. So say I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree we should abstain from the cowbells.

    ReplyDelete