Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Game

There is always excitement with the start of a new football season. I can recall many of Auburn's first game of the season going back to 1968 when I was a freshman. The first Auburn game I saw in person was the first game of that season. Auburn lost to SMU. The team looked terrible. I was so disappointed.

The first game of 1971 is one of the few times Auburn started the season in style. As best I can recall, we beat Chattanooga 60 to 7.

In 1972 we beat Mississippi State in a low-scoring game at Starkville. I remember listening to the game on the radio. That team went on to greatness.

In 1983 we beat Southern Miss 24 to 3. The 1983 was one Auburn team that was predicted to do well that DID well.

We lost to Miami 20 to 18 to start 1984.

I still remember when Freddy and I went to the first game of 1993 when we beat Ole Miss on a Thursday night. We had no idea that team would go undefeated.

Freddy's first game as a freshman in 2000 we beat Wyoming as I recall.

Who did we play in the first game last year? At the moment, I can't recall!

1 comment: